Sunday, May 16, 2010

Why Die Hard With A Vengeance is amazing.



We can all agree that Die Hard was ground breaking when it first came out, and it kicked all types of ass. Then came Die Hard 2, Die Harder, which had a fun title. I actually don't mind part 2 as much as everyone else does, it was fun, McClane kills someone with an icicle. But when Die Hard 3 hit, it changed my life. I shit you not. This was a film that finally got New York right. I wrote a paper on this film for my screen writing class in Junior High. I wanted to write movies for a living (I don't write movies for a living by the way).
What makes Die Hard 3 so great is it makes its hero use his wits, not just his fists. The problem with Die Hard 4 was that McClane was too much of an action hero. John McClane is just a New York cop, wrong place wrong time. Die Hard 3 shows him struggling, needing help, and oh yeah, saving the day. From the cat and mouse first half to the action filled second half the movie grabs you and never lets you go. McClane is on his home turf and you better believe he is coming out on top.
But the real draw of the movie is the banter between Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Fuck Unbreakable, this is their best film together.
Just a few more reasons why this movie is great: Samuel L. Jackson, Jeremy Irons doing a German accent, everything in the film explodes, henchman getting chopped in half by a cable.
For your enjoyment I present the top 5 quotes from Die Hard With A Vengeance:
5) You mean I'm in this shit because some white cop through some white asshole's brother off a roof?
4) You're a racist, you don't like me because I'm white.
I don't like you because you're going to get me killed!
3) That's right run mutha fucka's the exterminators are here!
2) There's a difference you know between not liking one's brother and not caring when some dumb Irish flatfoot drops him out of a window.
1) Yeah Zeus! You Know, father of Apollo, Mt Olympus, don't fuck with me or I'll shove a lighting bolt up you ass, ZEUS!!! You got a problem with that?

5 comments:

  1. McClaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Ithipon Choomchaiyo and I approve of this message. I agree with McClane being too much of a superhero in the last film. Perhaps too much of a babysitter than a bleeding hungover cop that we've all grown to love. I think if the hacker was Short Round, it might have been more enjoyable. At least he wouldn't have been hypoglycemic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Mr. Ithipon Choomchaiyo! I agree, Short Round would have made a much better sidekick. That boy is solid gold! Scienticians should have frozen that boy in carbonite between movies so he he would have never aged. Oh, the missed opportunity...
    PS, FedEx me some smokes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and let us not forget Die Hard With A Vengeance, DVD director's cut alternate ending. Not only did John McClane find Simon in some abandoned warehouse in Europe, but plays Russian Roulette with a Chinese rocket launcher resulting in the obligatory but possibly the most satisfying, "Yippie kai yay, mother fucker."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's not forget that Jeremy Irons' character was far ahead of his time. He had it in for the Federal Reserve long before the media started going after them.

    ReplyDelete