Sunday, June 20, 2010

Justified Sense of Entitlement?


As a Yankee fan living away from New York City, I always get harassed for every single thing the Yankees do. I know that this is a matter of ignorance and take it on the chin most times but understandably, I need to rant about this from time to time. This latest round is about the New Yankee Stadium and it's horrible food choices. As baseball fans, when have we become entitled to gourmet food at a baseball stadium? When did the standard hot dog or Italian sausage simply become not enough for us?

I enjoy good food as much as the next person but I also know when and where to enjoy good food. Let's not forget why we go to baseball games. To enjoy 9 innings of baseball or for a great meal? The cost of your ticket entitles you to your seat, that's it. You choose what you want to buy for consumption. (Or bring your own...) Shouldn't the venue of your baseball experience be judge primarily on the quality of how the game is played, the view from your seat, or the overall atmosphere of the home town fans? On a secondary perspective, anything beyond typical ballpark fare is bonus and if you're complaining for more choices and it's quality, then ask yourself are you really a true fan of baseball. I know in order to get full revenue from every demographic of spectators, you have to comply to everybody's whims but let me reiterate, this is a baseball stadium!!! If they have your something for your palette, great. If not, allow yourself to be 13 again for a day and get a hot dog!

I'll admit, throughout the zillions of baseball games I've attended, I've become the snob of the field level. Rather than getting doomed to the upper deck, I'd rather wander the lower level and stand closer to the game watching for 9 innings. However, I'll never complain about ballpark food, because it is what it is. Hot dogs, peanuts, fries, Cracker Jacks, domestic swill seltzer water beer, ice cream, maybe a regional specialty. If I find some other delectable treats such as an over-sized turkey leg at Busch Stadium or Rocky Mountain Oysters at Coors Field, score!

What are your thoughts about this?

2 comments:

  1. I am torn about this topic. On the one hand I do not think a stadium should be judged by its food, you should go there to enjoy the atmosphere and the game. On the other hand I can't tell a lie, I fucking love the tacos at Citi Field.
    I'll say this, I'm fine with regular ballpark food, just as long as it is not overly expensive. I am a bit mad at the new Yankee Stadium for over charging for basic snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm not one to judge. One part of me feels that a steak house has no place in a ballpark, though I'm the type to fill up on peanuts and sausages outside the stadium before the game...

    ReplyDelete